The content on this page was last updated on June 29th, 2017
We currently have discounts for this tour!
Pura Vida! eh? participating in the Pacuare River rafting tour:
The Pacuare River rafting tour described below is operated by Exploradores Outdoors
Short on time? Skip to...
- 1 Tour pricing
- 2 About the tour
- 3 Additional details
- 4 Minimum/maximum age/weight/height/other requirements
- 5 What to bring for tour participation
- 6 Also see these similar tours
- 7 Questions already answered
- 8 Related reading
- 9 Map (tour operator’s exploration center)
- 10 Add the tour to your Costa Rica trip wish list or share the love via social media
November 1st 2016 – October 31st 2017:
TOUR OPERATOR’S TOUR PRICE PER ADULT: $99.00
PURA VIDA! EH? TOUR DISCOUNT PER ADULT: $14.00
TOUR PRICE PER ADULT TO PAY TO THE TOUR OPERATOR: $85.00
Discount disclaimer: In order for a Pura Vida! eh? discount to be valid, a complete tour reservation form must be submitted via our website and accepted by our team. In addition, travellers must follow the steps/requirements outlined on our “How Pura Vida! eh? Works” page. Please note that Pura Vida! eh? discounts are: a) not valid for preexisting reservations already placed through other companies or tour operators, b) only valid for the specific day requested on the tour reservation form, and c) may only be claimed by the individual whose name appears on the tour reservation form. Tour reservation change requests may be made by travellers, but such requests are subject to approval by our team; unapproved tour reservation changes may result in a change or loss of the discount amount awarded. Tour reservation cancellations and no-shows will result in a loss of the discount amount awarded. All prices on our website including Pura Vida! eh? discounts are listed in the currency of US dollars, however at the tour operator’s discretion, tour payment may be collected in the currency of either US dollars or Costa Rican colones. For more information, please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” page.
About the tour
Tour departure/return location: Turrialba
Tour times: 8:30am-9:00am
Tour duration: Approximately 7.5 hours
Tour includes: Rafting tour, guide, lunch, and round-trip transportation to/from Turrialba hotels (hotels that fall outside of the regular transportation zone may have an additional fee; leave us a comment at the bottom of this page if you wish us to confirm the transportation amount that would apply to/from your specific hotel)
Tour operator’s description: The Pacuare River is one of the best choices for your adventure treks in Costa Rica. Another trip in the country does not exist that offers you a perfect blend of wilderness exposure and excitement, both in one day. Pacuare is world famous for its sheer beauty. A true river gorge, it is flanked by steep, green walls. Here you enjoy the feeling of total isolation from urban life and the realness of being connected with nature. You see waterfalls cascade into the river from both sides as colorful, tropical birds fly right over your head. Amazing views of this virgin tropical rainforest area, appear before your eyes as you descend this true exploratory land. Wildlife is abundant, with sloth, toucans, parrots, coatis, morpho butterflies and colorful frogs being common sights. The white water is equally exciting. It is not an overly challenging river, but it has a lot rapids, therefore giving you an adventure filled with lots of fun. The 18 mile one day run includes a total of 52 rapids. Few rivers in the world can offer you so many. Upon arrival to the river we will gear you up with a life jacket, helmet and paddle and then brie fyou with a full safety orientation talk. Finally, it is time to take off down the rapids! The first 4 miles consist of fun class II-III rapids which is a perfect time to test your new river skills and gain confidence in your team. Here you can find pockets of secondary growth forest that is extremely beautiful. After about 40 minutes we will enter the famous Pacuare River Gorge, which is 5 miles of some of the best white water Costa Rica has to offer. The rapids here are “Terciopelo snake”, “Double drop”, “Upper and Lower Huacas”, “Pin ball” to name a few. You will also see the Huacas watefall, a 150 foot dramatic drop into the river. After the gorge the rivers opens up to a 5 mile stretch on the Valle del Pacuare, where the river has a different character. It is wide open, which gives you the opportunity to rest a bit and take the opportunity to do some wildlife spotting. The main rapids here are “Cimarrones”, “The Play Hole”, “El Indio” and “Magnetic Rock”. The forest remains just as lush, and the rapids just as fun. We finish in Siquirres, at our own private Exploration Center, where you can take a shower, change and enjoy the gardens and terrace while having a beer or two and reflecting with your new friends about the great adventure you just shared.
Approximate Itinerary for the Pacuare River Rafting Tour:
- 8:30am-9:00am – Pick-up in Turrialba
- 9:00am–9:30am – En route to the river “put-in”
- 9:30am–10:15am – Preparation for the river descent (safety orientation, paddle practice)
- 10:15am–2:15pm – River descent (including lunch which is typically served partway through the trip along the side of the river, weather permitting)
- 2:15pm–3:00pm – Return to the “Exploration Center” with time to shower (if desired), change into dry clothes, and enjoy a beverage or purchase souvenirs (if desired).
- 3:00pm–4:00pm – En route from the “Exploration Center” to Turrialba
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 people to run. Please contact us to inquire about tour availability if your travel group is comprised of less than the tour operator’s required minimum number of participants.
Minimum/maximum age/weight/height/other requirements
- Children must be at least 12 years old to participate.
What to bring for tour participation
- Swimming suit
- Tennis shoes, Teva sandals or Aqua shoes (flip flops not permitted)
- Windbreaker (or any synthetic fabric t-shirt)
- Dry clothes for changing into after the river trip
- Plastic bag for wet clothes
- Cash for souvenirs, pictures and t-shirts
- Medicines if needed (if this is the case, please inform our office staff or the river guide)
Also see these similar tours
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (San Jose) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (La Fortuna/Arenal) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (Puerto Viejo) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (Cahuita) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (Sarapiqui) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (Guapiles) for more information!
- Looking to participate in this tour from a different location? See the Pacuare River Rafting Tour (Siquirres) for more information!
Questions already answered
- Read our related response: What Do I Do With My Luggage When I Raft The Pacuare River?
- Read our related response: How To Raft The Pacuare River To/From Manuel Antonio Or Between Manuel Antonio And *Choose A location*?
Familiar with our blog? Read our related blog post: The Best River For Rafting In Costa Rica
Familiar with our blog? Read our related blog post: Rafting & Kayaking in Costa Rica – Pacuare River Tour
Familiar with our blog? Read our related blog post: The Pacuare River Family
Familiar with our blog? Read our related blog post: Go Big or Go Home: Raft Costa Rica
Familiar with our blog? Read our related blog post: The Most Time And Cost Efficient Way To Visit Tortuguero And Raft The Pacuare River During Your Time In Costa Rica (Part 1)